Friday 20 February 2009

Maternal Instincts and Margarita's don't mix!


Half-term holidays in Morecambe.
Bring me Sunshine, in your smile,
Bring me Laughter, all the while,
In this world where we live, there should be more happiness,
So much joy you can give, to each brand new bright tomorrow


To celebrate 3 days in Morecambe with our children and no 'significant others' a girlfriend and I decided to eat out. Planning ahead, we walked to the venue and started as we mean to go on- with cocktails!


It was quite surreal, drinking cocktails in our scruffy walking clothes while simultaneously attempting to construct an origami parrot that F&B thoughtfully provide as a young un's past time!


Despite arriving at 4.45, by 6.15 our food had not arrived, and by now we were on our second round of cocktails and considering a Jug of same... ( better value in a credit crunch!). The kids had abandoned origami and colouring and were doing hand-jives and swapping seating arrangements under the table.


Whilst clearing the detritus to prepare for our main course (when oh when...) I set fire to the origami paper with the candle (for ambiance). After a good Basil Fawlty impression as I wafted the flames out we were now surrounded by a burnt ambiance that brought the waiter over...( still no mains!)


Finally our Jug of Margarita arrived closely followed by the Mains ( like a rainbow follows rain!) At this point we would have made good subjects for a Beryl Cook painting as, red-cheeked, we were full of the joys! The kids were happy and we were happy and they gave us all our drinks free to say sorry!


Replete and each clutching a balloon we set off for out moonlit wander home.


Any one fancy crossing the Irish sea on F&B balloons? Small Boy is keen...watch this space!


P.S.
Why is it that however late my children go to bed, they still are up at cock-crow! Not good when you have been drinking!
P.P.S.
Bring me Sunshine, in your eyes,
Bring me rainbows, from the skies,
Life's too short to be spent having anything but fun,
We can be so content, if we gather little sunbeams.
Be light-hearted, all day long,
Keep me singing, happy songs,
Let your arms be as warm as the sun from up above,
Bring me fun, bring me sunshine, bring me love.

2 comments:

  1. I would have loved to see the Basil Fawlty impresssion ... right up my street.

    I also have a problem with children waking early regardless of bedtime. In fact it's the bane of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hiya, sounds like a great half term break to me!

    ReplyDelete