Sunday 28 September 2008

Quality time is fun.....

Back from a shockingly sunny weekend in Morecambe.
My bottom is very sore from all the 'fun' family cycling trips we did! Big Boy is sure it's just my aversion to bikes in general and keeps suggesting un-flattering strategies to cope with my saddle soreness.
These range from the insulting -'how about buying an old -lady style shopper bike ( is that what you would feel better on?)' to the down right outrageously offensive ' you can get bigger seats you know for people like you....'!!!! But he is trying to be helpful!!
Anyway those old -lady shoppers are a nightmare! I remember mine, from my childhood, which also folded in half! Handy if you weren't bashing it about on the bondu ( cyprus scrub-land) which meant it aged alarmingly and developed a tendency to fold-up at will. Not cool!!
Anyway every jack and his lad came out to look at the strange yellow thing in the sky. We even laid on the beach and made sandcastles! Small Boy developed this strange aversion to throwing the frisbee by the sea for fear it would float away. Needless to say we exploited this cruelly by throwing a few in the sea til he was hysterical! Oh how guilty I felt when I had to get up to him twice in the night to reassure him that the frisbees were in the beach bag and not floated away in the sea.
Not to be out done, my insomniac Small Girl demonstrated on the way home that she can whistle while fast asleep ( in the car). Is there a market for this talent I wonder- can we get money for it!
I tried to get Big Boy to open up to his softer side by asking him what he wants for his special birthday ( jewellery perhaps?) ' Not jingly-jangly stuff...!' In the end having exhausted all ideas I suggested that perhaps he was content ( hoping for some sort of compliment from the line of conversation)
'I wouldn't say that , I would say I am content with my lot'!!!!!
What does that mean? Is this another Mars Venus thing where it makes me feel like I am not making him happy? Exploiting the direction the conversation was going, while trying not to mention the M word, I continue.
' That's Ok. I know you haven't got the zing. I have. I am completely content and in Love with you but I know that you aren't and I imagine that oneday you will meet that someone and find your zing.....'
No compliment or rebuttal forthcoming...so on I go digging deeper!!
'...and thats ok I love you so much and am glad to have met you so when you go for that zing I will cope...'
Ok so no undying declaration of undying love or a proposal (? as if!) But Big Boy... the man I love for who he is (and that includes innate lack of a romantic gene) grabs my bike-tortured leg and gives it a squeeze...sometimes thats all it needs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment